Torbay History House and Museum
History of Torbay Museum
Founded in July 1988, the Torbay Museum was established at 1288 Torbay Road, in the basement of Torbay Town Hall. It was home to an amazing array of artifacts and historical archival items dating back hundreds of years. Its collection began with items donated by the Roman Catholic Presentation Sisters in honour of their 121-year stay in Torbay’s St. Michael’s Convent from 1865-1986. The Sister’s donation included a nine-piece furniture set and stained-glass doors. The collection grew to over 2,000 artifacts, including items representing traditional fishing and farming, Women’s work, and Military History.
In 2017, the Town of Torbay purchased the Roman Catholic Presbytery House located at 2 Convent Lane, in an effort and commitment to create a museum that meets both professional standards and community needs. The new Torbay History House and Museum will become a significant community asset, serving as a community space and major tourism anchor, encouraging visitors to learn more about the community of Torbay and its significant history. The current Torbay Museum located in Town Hall temporarily closed to begin development at the new location.
The Torbay Museum is an active member of the Museum Association of Newfoundland and Labrador.
For more information on Torbay History House and Museum, please visit the Torbay History House and Museum Website, or contact;
Torbay Museum Manger
709-437-6532, ext 264