Garbage & Recycling
The Town of Torbay is committed to maintaining a clean, safe environment for residents and visitors alike. As part of this commitment, the Town has a contracted household garbage collection/disposal and curb-side recycling service. The Town provides a curbside garbage and recycling program (blue bags), which are collected on scheduled routes.
To find out when your garbage and recycling is collected, please view the 2021 Garbage and Recycling Schedule.
*Please note: the garbage and recycling schedule is subject to change during holidays, poor weather, etc. Always check our social channels and news item updates on torbay.ca during these times for the most up-to-date information.
Household garbage pick-up takes place every week, Tuesday to Friday. Recycling pick-up takes place every second week, Tuesday to Friday. For more information, see the schedule and Garbage Regulations.
Waste should be placed at the curb on your scheduled waste collection day by 8:00 a.m. There is a limit of 5 bags per household unit for regular garbage.
For everything you need to know about garbage collection in the Town of Torbay check out Garbage 101.
If you require additional information concerning the Town of Torbay’s Waste Management Program, please contact the Town at 437-6532.
Residents are advised that due to scheduled holidays, there will be a change in garbage collection as follows:
Good Friday | April 2 – garbage and recycling is moved to Thursday, April 1 (double day)
Canada Day | July 1 – no change
Regatta Day | August 4 – no change
Remembrance Day | November 11 – no change
Torbay has a recycling problem. Right now, our town recycles only 6% of its waste, 30% below the national average. That means most of Torbay’s recyclable materials are ending up in the landfill. Even other communities in Newfoundland and Labrador are recycling more than us. We can do better. It just takes commitment – from you!
Ready to sort it out?
New to recycling? Not sure you’re doing it right? Recycling is simple, once you know what to recycle, and when. In fact, once you learn the rules, it’s child’s play. Below you’ll find important information you’ll need to recycle correctly, including Torbay’s recycling pick-up schedule. Everything you need to help Torbay make the grade.
What can I recycle?
A few “tricky” things to remember about recycling in the Town of Torbay:
- Milk cartons are recyclable containers. Be sure to put them in your blue bag and not in with paper products.
- Disposable baking trays & pie pans are recyclable aluminum containers. The metal ones you have used for years are not recyclable at the curb.
- Paper flyers, catalogues and ‘junk’ mail are recyclable papers. The plastic bags they may come in are not recyclable at the curb.
When do I recycle?
Household garbage pick-up takes place every week, Tuesday to Friday. Recycling pick-up takes place every second week, Tuesday to Friday. Click on image to get full schedule.
Bulk Garbage Drop Off
What dates can I drop off my bulk garbage?
The Town of Torbay 2021 bulk garbage drop-offs to be announced.
- Bulk garbage drop-off is available to Torbay residents only. ID will be required at the entrance.
- Touchless drop-off only — Residents are required to unload all items and place in the designated loader buckets themselves or with the assistance of another member of their household or extended bubble. Staff will not be permitted to assist due to COVID-19 safety precautions.
Municipal Depot | 1 Pump House Road (Off Torbay By-pass)
For more information contact Craig Connors, Supervisor, Infrastructure and Public Works
437-6532 ext. 286 | firstname.lastname@example.org
What can and cannot be dropped off?
- View the full list of acceptable and unacceptable items here.
Bulk Garbage Curb-side Pick-up
Bulk Garbage Curb-side pick-up has been suspended due the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Appointment Based starting in May and ending in June
- The Infrastructure and Public Works Department will take appointments for bulk garbage pick-up for those with limited means. This will run for a period of 8 weeks.
- Appointments must be made on the Tuesday of each week. Pick-up will occur on the Thursday of each week.
- One pick-up per household.
- A $25.00 fee will apply and must be paid in advance.
- Residents will be required to bring the bulk garbage to the end of their driveway and have items clearly separated (metals, garbage and grass clippings/leaves).
Please call the Town Hall at 437-6532, extension 221 to make your appointment.
The Town of Torbay, in partnership with the Towns of Flatrock, Pouch Cove, Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove and Bauline has ordered compost bins from the Multi-Materials Stewardship Board. This year, the Town will be offering two options: bins and tumblers. The Town will provide a further update when the bins and tumblers are available for purchase.
Ask at the front reception for details or call 437-6532.
The Town of Torbay is actively involved in Clean-up Programs and promotion of Property Beautification. Residents are recognized for their contribution to property improvement and the Town promotes a clean environment for all residents.