• On April 9, 1974 a meeting was held by Torbay Town Council to form a volunteer fire department.  This was inspired by a tragic fire that took the lives of 6 of the town’s residents.  Bruce Escott was the town’s first chief and Jim Taque the Asst. Chief.  In total there were 29 members of the department.  One of those founding member, Mike McGrath,.is still serving with the department.

  • In the spring of 1974 our first pumper, a 1974 International was purchased.  This truck was operated from Deputy Mayor Ron Ryan’s premises until early 1975 when the department moved into the newly constructed fire hall.

  • At that time, the department had about a dozen sets of fire clothes.  These were one size fits all and the first firefighters on scene got to wear them.

  • In 1974 the department did not have the pager system we have today for dispatch.  Instead, there were 8 “fire phones” in the community.   When a call was received, each spouse would have a list of firemen to call who would then respond.

  • The department’s first fire call was a vehicle fire on July 28, 1974 and the first structural fire the department responded to was on November 4, 1974 at the property of Mr. Bernard Walsh at the intersection of Convent Lane and North Pond Road.

  • In 1977 the department conducted a door to door fundraising campaign to raise money to purchase our 1977 Chevy 4×4 pickup.  We used this vehicle to carry our portable pump and some extra hose.

  • In 1978 the department purchased its first two sets of “Survive-Air” breathing apparatus.

  • In 1984 an extension was built on to the existing fire hall giving us two more parking spaces for vehicles and a new meeting room downstairs.

  • In 1984 Wayne Coady became the department’s second Asst. Chief.  He served in this position until he became chief in 1985.

  • In 1985 we purchased a 1955 International pumper.  We used that as a second pumper until 1997 when a new pumper was purchased.

  • Wayne Coady became the town’s second fire chief in 1985 and served until 2001.

  • Pat McGrath became the department’s third Asst. Chief in 1985 and served until 1989.

  • In 1987 we purchased a 1983 Ford cube van which served as our rescue unit until the purchase of our current rescue vehicle in 2000.

  • In 1989 the department started responding to life threatening (code 4) medical calls.  From this point forward, all firefighters were trained in first aid, CPR, and oxygen therapy.

  • In 1990 Mike McGrath became the department’s fourth and current Asst. Chief.

  • In 1997 the department purchased a new International pumper (our current pumper 1).

  • Glenn Mahon became the third fire chief in 2002 and remained in that position until July 2003.

  • In January, 2002 the department purchased 10 new “MSA” breathing apparatus with 25 spare cylinders to replace the three different types that the department had been using up until that point.

  • Mike McGrath became the department’s fourth chief in July 2003 and continues in that position.

  • In 2007, the department purchased a new 2007 Pumper

  • In October, 2007, we officially opened the Flatrock Station, which is home to our new 2007 Pumper

  • The department has operated a booth at the Royal St. John’s Regatta since 1974.  You can find our red booth at the head of the pond surrounded by lots of people buying tickets to support our department.

  • On November 28 2012, we received our new 2013 Freightliner 4-Door Pumper/Rescue

Community Events