Mental Health First Aid
Join our certified Mental Health First Aid instructor, Jonathan Christopher, as he teaches you about common mental health disorders and prepares you to interact confidently about mental health with family, friends, communities, and workplaces.
When: Thu-Fri, February 20-21, 8:00am–5:00pm
Where: Multipurpose Building, Upper Three Corner Pond Park
Ages: 16+ years
Cost: $250 per person
Registration opens: Jan. 23 – residents; Jan. 30 – general public.
Registration closes: February 15.
Register in-person at Torbay Common or online through eServices.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem, experiencing the worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. Just like physical first aid is provided until medical treatment can be obtained, MHFA is given until appropriate support is found or until the crisis is resolved.
Mental Health First Aid:
- Engages confidently where a person may be a danger to themselves or others.
- Provides help to prevent the mental health problem from developing into a more serious state.
- Promotes the recovery of good mental health.
- Provides comfort to a person experiencing a mental health problem.
- In a recent major Canadian study, 82% of responding organizations ranked mental health conditions in their top three causes of short term disability (72% for long-term).
- 30% of all short and long term disability claims are due to mental health problems and illnesses.
- The average responding organization reported spending more than $10.5 million annually on absence claims.
- In 2011, lost productivity due to absenteeism and presenteeism (present but less than fully productive at work) due to mental health problems and illnesses was approximately $6 Billion.
Outcomes of MHFA training:
- Significantly greater recognition of the most common mental health illnesses and problems
- Decreased social distance from people with mental health illnesses or problems
- Increased confidence in providing help to others
- Demonstrated increase in helpful actions
Key benefits of a mentally healthy workplace
Employers who set a strategic direction for improving mental health are rewarded with dramatic cost and effectiveness benefits, enjoying significant and sustainable enhancements in:
Productivity: Happy and psychologically healthy employees work harder and more efficiently.
Cost Savings due to Disability and Absenteeism: There is a strong link between mental health, physical well-being and injury prevention
Operational Success: Mentally healthy workplaces are characterized by higher levels of employee motivation, commitment, innovation and creativity, as well as fewer errors, better decision making and improved planning.
Recruitment and Retention: Top candidates today are looking for a workplace that supports their personal and professional growth.
Conflict Reduction: Better mental health among employees means fewer grievances and complaints and a stronger corporate reputation
Operational Success: Mentally healthy workplaces are characterized by higher levels of employee motivation, commitment, innovation and creativity, as well as fewer errors, better decision making and improved planning
Mental Health First Aid is an international program proven to be effective.
- Increase a persons knowledge of signs, symptoms and risk factors of mental health problems
- Increase a persons confidence to help someone experiencing a mental health crisis
- Can identify professional and self-help resources for individuals with a mental health problem
- Show increased mental wellness themselves
- Developing safe social distances between a person and someone with a mental health problem