Torbay Community Garden
A community garden is a place to grow food, flowers, and herbs among those of your neighbours and friends. It is a place to reconnect with nature while getting physical exercise. Regardless of why you are choosing to take part in the community garden, the activity comes with both responsibilities and rewards.
Successful and vibrant community gardens rely on the dedication of each and every gardener to:
- maintain his or her own plot; and
- contribute to the upkeep and management of the entire garden.
Community gardening has the potential to offer a range of benefits to individuals, families, communities, and the environment. Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Food production
- Mental health
- Community development
Community Garden Overview
- Registration opens on May 24. To register, contact Scott Martin at email@example.com or 437-6532 ext 310.
- Plots measure 7 feet by 3 feet in size. Plots will be randomly assigned and will be the assigned gardener’s responsibility to maintain. If you have any requests for a specific plot, please submit your request to the Torbay Community Garden Committee by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All community garden members will be provided a personal gardening tool kit upon the opening of the garden for the 2022 season.
- Plots will be filled with triple mix soil (from Carew’s Services Ltd.) and 6-12-12 fertilizer. If a gardener wishes to add their own soil/fertilizer please notify Scott Martin before June 10.
- The garden will open on June 10. Gardeners must ensure to have plants in their plot by no later than July 1. Please note, this may be extended pending the June weather.
- For questions regarding what gardeners can or cannot plant, please see the Torbay Community Garden Guidelines. Gardeners are responsible for purchasing your plants/flowers.
- Only certain fertilizers will be permitted. Please see the Torbay Community Garden Committee for procedures and recommendations.
- Gardeners must provide their own gardening tools or use the personal gardening tool kit provided by the Town of Torbay. DO NOT share gardening tools with those outside your household bubble.
Torbay Community Garden Committee
- Scott Martin (staff)
- Kayla Carroll
- Heather Warren
- Joanne Hayes
General Garden Questions:
M-F, 8:30am-4:00pm – Scott Martin | 437-6532 ext. 228
After Hours – Town Hall Answering Service | 437-6532